On cold days (and even some not-so-cold days) I love starting the day with a hot breakfast bowl and swapping quinoa for oatmeal adds a crunchy flavor to traditional hot cereal. Quinoa is loaded in fiber and protein, making it the perfect energy-boosting choice for starting a hectic work day and the warm, nutty texture makes it a cozy option for a lazy Sunday morning too. All in all, this hot quinoa breakfast bowl is the perfect breakfast no matter what your day holds!
Makes 2, 1-cup servings
- 2 cups of milk (whole, skim, or unsweetened milk substitute)
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for taste as desired
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (or almonds)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Bring milk to a boil in a small saucepan. Add quinoa and return to a boil. Then, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until three-quarters of the milk has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in cinnamon and cook, covered, until almost all the milk as been absorbed, about 8 minutes. Stir in blueberries and nuts, cook for another 30 seconds.
- Serve out into 2 bowls and garnish with extra cinnamon or blueberries as desired.