I love these chicken lettuce tacos, it’s a great fiber-packed twist to the traditional taco. Don’t get me wrong, I love the traditional taco too (a lot!) but sometimes a little extra veg can go a long way.
Makes 8 3-taco servings
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 mango, peeled and cut into strips
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp fresh minced ginger
- 2 thin chicken cutlets (3 ounces each)
- 24 small leaves fresh Bibb lettuce (about 3 heads)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine vinegar, touch of salt, carrot, mango and peppers; let stand for at least 30 minutes. Pro-tip: you can make this up to 24 hours in advance and keep in the fridge.
- Heat grill or a grill pan on high and lightly coat with oil. In a dish combine lime juice, ginger, oil, with salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken and let marinate for 5 minutes. Grill chicken until cooked throughout, about 3 minutes per side. Let cool on a plate.
- Once cooled, thinly slice chicken and combine with carrot mixture. Divide mixture among lettuce leaves. Add slices of avocado to each lettuce cup and sprinkle with cilantro.